Last Updated on
Baunton in a small parish in Cirencester union, containing by the census of 1861, 122, and in 1871, 152 inhabitants, and 1310 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, East Gloucestershire, 1 ¼ mile north from Cirencester; bounded on the east by the Roman Fossway, and on the west by the river Churn. The vicarage is valued at £100 per annum, and is in the patronage of Thomas W. C. Master, Esq. The Rev. Henry Bubb, of Daglingworth, is curate in sole charge. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Christopher, consisting of nave and chancel, with belfry containing two bells. There is an infant school. Thomas W. C. Master, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole owner of the parish. The rateable value of this paid is £1496.
Trades and Professions
Barker Miss Jane, Infant schoolmistress
Carter Henry, parish clerk
Greenway William, shopkeeper
Merchant Mrs. Harriet, shopkeeper
Penson William Stayt, farmer
Porter Thomas, farmer
Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Infant School – Miss Jane Barker, mistress
Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.