Last Updated on

Wheatenhurst (or Whitminster), is a parish and village, the principal of the union to which it gives the name, containing by the census of 1861, 411, and in 1871, 428 inhabitants, and 1217 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Whitstone, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles north-west from Stonehouse Stations on the Great Western and Midland Railway, and 7 ½ south-west from Gloucester. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Anthony Ely, M.A., is valued at £135 per annum, and is in the patronage of George Bengough, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower containing 4 bells; it was enlarged about 1850. There is a school for children of both sexes, which has an endowment of £30 per annum. A new Court House was erected here a few years since, in which the magistrates hold Petty Sessions fortnightly on a Thursday. John Bengough, Esq., is lord of the manor, and he and Henry Hooper Wilton, Esq., are the principal landowners. The rateable value of this parish is £2597.

Clergy and Gentry

Bullock Glegg, Esq., Whitminster lodge

Critchley Mr. Samuel

Ely Rev. Anthony, M.A., vicar and Surrogate

Grey John, Esq., J.P., The Parklands

Hogg Mr. William

Rogers Mr. George

Wadley Mr. Daniel

Wilton Henry Hooper, Esq., J.P., Whitminster house

Trades and Professions

Andrews John, blacksmith

Artus James, butcher

Berrows George, carrier

Boucher James, blacksmith

Browning Frederick, farmer, Manor farm

Clutterbuck Peter, boat owner

Cooke Daniel, baker, grocer, and beer retailer

Critchley Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper

Harris Miss Frances P., shopkeeper

Hill John Tratman, farmer, Packthorne farm

Lay John, shoemaker

Long John K, master of Endowed School

Parker Chas. Henry, farmer, Jackson’s farm

Perrin Thomas, police sergeant

Perry George, carpenter and wheelwright

Perry Walter, carpenter, wheelwright, and sub-postmaster

Vaughan Job, cattle dealer

Vick John, farmer and cattle dealer, Kidman’s farm

Vick John, Jun., farmer and cattle dealer, Mill farm

Wadley James, “Whitminster” hotel

Williams James, coal dealer

Post Office – Walter Perry, sub-postmaster. Letters from Stonehouse arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. Frampton-on-Severn and Eastington are the nearest money order offices.

Police station – Thomas Perrin, sergeant in charge

Endowed School – John K. Long, master; Mrs. Rhoda S. Long, mistress

Carrier – John Berrows to Gloucester, Wed and Sat

Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.