Tuffley or Tuffleigh Gloucestershire 1876
Tuffley (or Tuffleigh), is a small hamlet of the parish of Saint Mary-de-lode, Gloucester, in Gloucester union, containing by the census of 1861, 138, and in 1871, 196 inhabitants, and 765 acres ; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire ; 2 miles south from the city, on the road from thence to Stroud. A chapel-of-ease has recently been erected here, in which divine service is celebrated every Sunday by the Rev. Henry Charles Minchin, M.A., vicar of St. Mary-de-lode, Gloucester. The rateable value of this parish is £4130.
Clergy and Gentry.
Brown Alfred, Esq., Oak bank
Brown Richard Gopsill, Esq., Elmhurst
Coleman Mr. Edward
Cooksey Mr. Charles Frederick, Tuffley lawn
Niblett John Daniel Thomas, Esq., J.P., Stanforth
Savory Mr. Paul Haines, Tuffley lawn
Whitcombe George, Esq., Tuffley knoll
Trades and Professions.
Barnard Thomas, dairyman
Buckle Walter, farmer
Cole Alban, carpenter and wheelwright, “New” inn
Dymock George, assistant overseer
Dymock William, farmer, Lower Tuffley
Mousell Henry, farmer, Tuffley court
Rea Edwin, butcher
Taylor Benjamin, farmer, Lower Tuffley
Townsend John, farmer
Letters through Gloucester delivered at 8 a.m. Box cleared at 4.35 p.m. on weekdays, and on Sundays at 11.5 a.m.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.