Sevenhampton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1897
Sevenhampton is a parish and village and includes the villages of Brockhampton and Brockhampton Quarry, 2 miles north – by – east from Andoversford station on the Great Western railway and 7 east from Cheltenham, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Bradley, petty sessional division, county court district and union of Northleach, rural deanery of Cheltenham and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The river Coln rises in this parish. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient cruciform edifice of stone, in the Early English and Later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled central tower with a stair turret at the south-east angle, containing 3 bells: there are several mural tablets to John Hincksman, 1774, and Margaret, his wife, 1816, with others of the family, 1739-96: on the floor of the church is a brass to William Lawrence, infant son of Anthony and Culpeper Lawrence, 1694, and there are later memorials of the same name: the church was restored in 1891-2 at a cost of about £1,400, and affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £132, including 30 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Joseph Storr, B.A., of London University. There are two Baptist chapels, one at Brockhampton and another at Brockhampton Quarry. A charity of £1 is distributed to the poor annually in bread. Brockhampton Park, the property of the Craven family and now in the occupation of Major Edward Henry Green-de Freville J.P., D.L., Cambs. and master of the Cotswold hounds, is a fair specimen of an old -fashioned country seat; the mansion, surrounded by well-grown shrubberies, has a secluded and venerable appearance; the park is studded with grand old trees, and contains a herd of deer. Christian William Lawrence esq. of Sandywell Park, Dowdeswell, who is lord of the manor of Sevenhampton, and the trustees of the late Fulwar John Colquitt-Craven esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and light oolite; subsoil, clay and light oolite. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,376 acres; rateable value, £2,120; the population in 1891 was 399.
Hampen is a small hamlet, partly in this parish and partly in that of Shipton Oliffe, 2 miles south-east
Sexton, William Pearce
Post Office, Brockhampton – Charles Barnett, sub-postmaster. Letters through Andoversford R.S.O. arrive at 7.25 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Andoversford is the nearest money order and telegraph office, 3 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Sevenhampton, cleared at 5. 50 p.m. Letters received from Andoversford R.S.O. arrive at 7.15 a.m. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Andoversford.
National School (mixed), built in 1870, for 115 children; average attendance, 70; Charles Capps, master; Mrs. G. Tombs, sewing mistress.
Beale-Browne Mrs. John, Sevenhampton manor
Storr Rev. Joseph, B.A., Vicarage
Andrews Reuben, blacksmith
Barnfield Benj., farmer & stone mason
Barnfield Thos., farmer & stone mason
Cook Thomas, farmer, Manor farm
Dollins John, farm bailiff to Col. W. Agg J.P. Puckham
Humphris Wm., farmr. Whitehall farm
Wood Oliver, shoe maker
Greene-de Freville Major Edward Hy. D.L., J.P. (Cambs.), Brockhampton pk.
Barnett Chas., carpenter, Post office
Combe Clement, tailor
Combe Geo. Thos, baker & brewer
Gillett Lambert, head gardener to Maj. E. H. Greene-de Freville
Jackson Thos., farmer, Soundboro’ frm
Merrick Richard, head gamekeeper to Major E. H. Green-de Freville
Nash Job. Beer retailer
Pitman Edward, grocer
Pitts Thomas, shoe maker
Roberts James, farmer, Oxleaze farm
Taylor Fanny (Mrs.), beer retailer
Trevethan William Tippet, farmer, Court farm
Williams Neighbour, grocer & farmer
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Gloucestershire and the City of Bristol, 1897. Printed and Published by Kelly’s Directories, Limited, 182, 183 & 184, High Holborn, W.C.