Sevenhampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places included in the parish: Hampen, Brockhampton.
Parish registers begin: 1588
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.
Parishes adjacent to Sevenhampton
- Charlton Kings
- Bishop’s Cleeve
- Shipton Sollars
- Cold Salperton
- Charlton Abbots
- Sudeley Manor
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Sevenhampton – popularly Sennington – a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; on a head-stream of the river Coln, 5 ¾ miles E by S of Cheltenham r. station. Post-town, Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £3,145. Pop., 543. Houses, 113. The manor belongs to G. C. Craven, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £50. Patron, alternately, G. C. Craven, Esq., and W. L. Lawrence, Esq. The church is Norman, and good. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Marriages at Sevenhampton 1605 to 1837
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The Marriages registered at Sevenhampton are contained in three volumes.
Volume I is of parchment, in limp covers, about 10 in. square. Its bulk has been increased by additional leaves at least once; there are now 122 pages. What was probably its earliest cover (now in the middle) bears an inscription, faint, but quite legible, though covered by some entries of 1806: “The Register book of the Parish of Sevenhampton, beginning in ye year of our Lord God 1555.” There is another heading to the same effect on what is now the first page of the Register dated 1588. The entries in it are from 1588 to 1808. They are badly arranged. Baptisms are in an enormous majority, Burials fewer, Marriages very few and intermittent, only forty-four from 1588 to 1754, but it is noteworthy that eight of these are during the Commonwealth, and recorded in the same way as all the rest. The writing throughout is of various styles and qualities.
Volume II (under Lord Hardwicke’s Act of 1753) contains Banns and Marriages combined from September 1755 to November 1812.
Volume III (under Rose’s Act of 1812) has Marriages from January 1813 to January 1837.
No Banns records survive from 1812 to 1824.
These Marriages have been transcribed by Mr. William R. Storr, B.A. Oxon., and checked by the Rev. J. Storr, B.A. Lond., Vicar, by whose kind permission they are printed.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Bradley
- Province: Canterbury