Martley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Hillhampton.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1625
Parishes adjacent to Martley
- Great Witley
- Knightwick with Doddenham
- Clifton on Teme
- Little Witley
- Shelsley Beauchamp
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Martley, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 6½ miles north-west by west of Worcester, and east of the river Teme. The parish indudes the hamlet of Hillhampton. Acres 4,340. Houses 273. A. P. £8,796. Pop., in 1801, 1,192; in 1831, 1,395. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £22 10s.; gross income £999. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Hastings. Here are 3 daily schools, 2 of which are endowed; one with a small estate in the parish producing about £60 per annum, the other with property amounting to nearly £20 per annum. Other charities, in 1830, £14 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £604 11s. A workhouse has been erected here for the union of Martley, by the poor-law commissioners, capable of accommodating 150 persons. The Martley poor-law union comprehends 28 parishes, embracing 78 square miles; with a population returned, in 1831, at 13,093. The average annual expenditure on the poor of this district, during the three years preceding the formation of the union, was £5,520. Expenditure, in 1838, £3,942 ; in 1839, £4,543 7s. On an average of 7 years, to 1835, hops have annually been cultivated in this parish to the extent of 165¾ acres; average of hops charged 42,341 lbs.; of duty paid, £352 16s. 10d.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Martley – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 7 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 119 from London; containing 226 inhabited houses. The land in this parish is in a high state of cultivation, and fertile in fruit and hops. The living is a rectory; the Rev. James Hastings, incumbent in his own right; instituted 1795. Population, 1801, 1050 – 1811, 1256 – 1821, 1126.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Martley, seven miles west from Worcester, a large populous parish. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and the rectory the most valuable in the county, especially in a good year of hops, when the profits amount to 1200l. here are several good mansions and farm-houses; and a charity-school. The country, in general hilly, has good prospects, particularly about Berrow-green, &c. On Putford banks the black mountains in Wales are discernable.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury