Martin Hussingtree (from the two ancient divisions of the parish, Merton and Hussentree) is a small village and parish nearly midway between Worcester and Droitwich, and within half a mile of Fearnall Heath railway station on the Great Western line; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union of Droitwich; county court district and petty sessional division of Worcester; polling district of Claines; annual rateable value, £2,664 17s. 6d.; area of parish, 908 acres; population in 1861, 170; in 1871, 150, with 41 inhabited houses and 46 families or separate occupiers. The Rev. Henry T. Hill, who is lord of the manor, and Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., are the principal landowners. The soil is light and loamy; subsoil, marl; there is good wheat and bean land, but very little barley grown. Martin Hussingtree is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £255, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; rector, Rev. Harvey Edmund Taverner, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, late minor canon and sacrist of Worcester cathedral, instituted in 1876. The church of St, Michael is an ancient edifice with chancel, nave, south transept, porch, and bell-turret. It underwent repair in 1858, but is now in much need of restoration. There is some Early English work in it. The parish registers commence with the year 1539. There are a few small charities. By the kind permission of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., the children of Martin Hussingtree attend Hindlip national school, which is situate on the borders of Hindlip and Martin, but within the boundary of the parish of Claines. A small endowment towards the school at Salwarpe confers upon Martin Hussingtree the privilege of sending six children there. Brown Heath is three-quarters of a mile E.; Oakley is one mile N.E.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. The wall letter-box, near Martin house, is cleared at 4.55 p.m. on week-days, and 10.55 a.m. on Sundays. Letters for Brown heath are received through Droitwich. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Fearnall Heath. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Harvey Edmund Taverner, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Wall and George Cartridge, Churchwardens; William Grizzell, Parish Clerk.
Taverner Rev. Harvey Edmund, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Aston & Green, grocers & provision dlrs.
Burrows William, Swan Inn, & millwright
Cartridge Geo., farmer, Martin Court frm.
Cartridge G., jun., fmr., Hussingtree hall
Dovey Samson, fruiterer, Hill Top cottage
Evans Edward, cattle dealer, Martin ho.
Gaunt Thomas, farmer
Green Frederick William, farmer, Saints farm, Brown heath (letters through Droitwich)
Grizzell Wm., blacksmith & parish clerk
Quarrell Thomas Joseph, farmer, Brown heath (letters through Droitwich)
Wall William, farmer, Ladywood farm
Wynn John, butcher, Strand lane
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.