Lyonshall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1682
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Lyonshall
Historical Descriptions of Lyonshall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYONSHALL, a village and a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of the river Arrow, and 2¼ E of Kington r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Kington. The parish comprises 4,658 acres. Real property, £7,046. Pop., 960. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Marburys; passed to the Devereuxs, Sir Stephen de Ebroicis, and the Touchets; and belongs now to Lady Langdale. Moor House is a chief residence. A castle, said to have been built by William Rufus, stood at the village, and is now represented by some ivy-clad remains. Limestone for building is quarried, and bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, was probably connected with the castle, has a tower, contains several monumental tablets, and was recently in disrepair.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Lyonshall, 3m. S.E. Kington. P. 912
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
LYONSHALL, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 2½ miles (E. S. E.) from Kington, containing 896 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £6. 10. 7½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Here are the remains of a moated castle, which, in the early part of the reign of Henry III., belonged to Sir Stephen de Ebroicis, then lord of the manor and castle, on the site of which a curious antique ring was found. A railway passes through this village, in its course from Brecon, to the lime kilns in the parish of Old Radnor. A court leet is held here. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Avon.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Stretford
- Province: Canterbury