Clehonger is an Ancient parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1671
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Clehonger
- Eaton Bishop
- Hereford St John the Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLEHONGER, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, near the Hereford and Brecon and the Hereford and Abergavenny railways, 3 miles SW of Hereford. Post town, Hereford. Acres, 1,888. Real property, £3,450. Pop., 451. Houses, 96. John Matthews the philanthropist and member of parliament, was lord of the manor; and his son and daughter were authors of the “Diary of an Invalid” and “Pomona or the Apple-Trees of Herefordshire”. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is early English; consists of nave and chancel with a tower; and contains monuments of the Aubreys and the Matthewses. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Clehonger, 3 miles S.W. Hereford. P. 396.
Source:Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Clehonger (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Hereford; containing 396 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Wye, which bounds it on the north; it is intersected by the road from Hereford to Hay, and consists of 1888 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £4. 4. 2., and in the gift of the Dean of Hereford: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £180, and the vicarial for £164. 15., and the glebe consists of ½ an acre.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury