Callow, originally a chapelry of Dewsall Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. The modern parish is Dewsall with Callow and the Parish Church is Dewsall St Michael.
Civil parish: Callow
Parish church: St Michael; St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576; see also Dewsall
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Callow
- Upper and Lower Bullinghope with Grafton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CALLOW, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 2 miles E of Tram Inn r. station, and 4 S by W of Hereford. Post Town, Hereford. Acres, 621. Real property, £486. Pop., 137. Houses, 30. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Dewsall, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Callow, 4 m. S. Hereford. P. 171
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Callow (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Hereford; containing 171 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Hereford to Ross, and comprises by measurement 582 acres; the surface is moderately undulated and well wooded, and the soil is nearly of average fertility. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and annexed to the vicarage of Dewsall; 22 acres of land are tithe-free, having formerly belonged to the fraternity of St. John of Jerusalem. The tithes have been commuted for £86. 2. 10.; in addition to which, £12 a year are received from fourteen acres of land, purchased a few years ago, with an allowance from Queen Anne’s Bounty. The church is pleasantly situated on the summit of a hill overlooking, at a short distance, the high road, and was rebuilt about the year 1831. The rent of four acres of land, bought with £100 bequeathed by Henry Pearle, Esq., a native, is given to the poor on St. Thomas’s-day, when a distribution is also made of the interest of £80 in the savings’ bank at Hereford, the produce of timber cut down on the land a few years since. There are the remains of two Roman camps.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury