Cainscross is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1838 from chapelry in Stonehouse Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cain’s-Cross
Parish registers begin: 1837
Parishes adjacent to Cainscross
- King’s Stanley
- Moreton Valence
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CAINSCROSS, a chapelry in Stonehouse, Stroud, and Randwick parishes, Gloucester; on the Western Union railway, 1 mile W of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud. It was constituted in 1837. Pop., 1,916. Houses, 425. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, Mrs. Croome. The church is modern. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Cain’s-Cross, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, and partly in the parishes of Stonehouse and Randwick, hundred of Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (W.) from Stroud. A district church, erected at an expense of £3600, raised chiefly by subscription, was consecrated on the 29th of January, 1837. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Colonel Daubeny, who endowed it with £1000, vested in the funds; the district assigned to it comprises the villages of Cain’s Cross, Ebley, Westrip, Dudbridge, and Pakenhill.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury