Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Aberysker
Parish church: St. Mary; St. Cynidr
Parish registers begin: 1721
Nonconformists include: Independents (chapel at Abegyscir)
Parishes adjacent to Aberyscir
- Llanfihangel Nant Bran
- St John Brecon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABERYSCIR, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; 2½ miles W by N of Brecon r. station. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 1,918. Real property, £1,224. Pop., 125. Houses, 26. The Yscir river falls here into the Usk; and has, on the right bank, the parish church, surrounded with yew, on the left bank a rectangular camp and several ramparts, together with substructions of walls, supposed to have been a station of the Roman general Ostorins Scapula, preceded by the British town Banninm. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £136. Patron, the Rev. W. L. Joues. The church belonged anciently to Malvern priory, and is a poor structure.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aberysker, 3 m. N.W. Brecon. P. 117.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
ABERYSCIR, or ABERESCIR (ABER- ESGAIR), a parish, in the union of Brecknock, hundred of Merthyr-Cynog, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Brecknock; containing 110 inhabitants. This place is pleasantly situated on the river Yscir, near its confluence with the Usk, and from that circumstance derives its name. The former of these rivers is crossed by two bridges in the vicinity, namely, Pont ar Yscir, to the west of the parish of Battle, and Pont ar Vran, on the road to Trallong; and the latter by Aberbran bridge (which has been lately repaired), and by a handsome stone bridge from the grounds of Penpont, another of the same material in the grounds of Abercamlais, and a small suspension bridge near the latter residence. The mesne lord ship of Aberyscir, formerly held under the lords of Cantref-Selyf, and separated only by the Yscir from the ruined town of Caer-Bannau, once the capital of the county, was given by Bernard Newmarch to Sir Hugh Surdwal, or Sir Hugh of the Solitary Vale, whose residence is stated by tradition to have occupied the site of a more modern house, near the junction of the rivers, now occupied by a farmer. The soil, which is chiefly arable, consists of light loam mixed with gravel, well adapted for the production of turnips, barley, and clover; the ground on the south is of easy ascent, and on the west and east it is rather steep, terminating in a hill. The living, which was formerly a discharged vicarage, is now a rectory, having been endowed with the great tithes: it is rated as a vicarage in the king’s books at £3. 6. 3.; present net income, £136; patron and incumbent, Rev. David Jones. The church, which formerly belonged to the priory of Malvern, is dedicated, according to some authorities, to St. Mary, and according to others to St. Cynidr: it is beautifully situated on the western bank of the river Yscir, in the angle between that river and the Usk, but is only a mean-looking building, possessing no claim to architectural notice. There is neither parsonage house nor glebe land attached to the living, though close to the church is a small farm of about thirty-five acres, with a house, barn, and outbuildings, now in a dilapidated state, called “The Parsonage;” but whether or not it ever did belong to the church, at any period, has not been ascertained; if so, it may probably have been alienated during the protectorate of Cromwell. This parish participates in a donation of land by the Rev. Mr. Powell, vicar of Boughrood, in 1686, for apprenticing poor children. Nearly opposite the church, on the eastern bank of the Yscir, is the Roman station called the Gaer, or Caer Bannau, whence the Sarn Helen, in its course to Neath, the Nidum of the Romans, joined the Via Julia Maritima at some distance from this place: it crossed the Yscir a little above the church, and proceeded through this parish nearly in the direction of the present turnpike road to Aberbran. Near the margin of the Usk is an artificial mount surrounded by a moat, which was probably the site of the keep belonging to the ancient mansion of the Surdwals. Of this family was Hywel Surdwal, one of the heraldic bards of Wales, who flourished towards the close of the fifteenth century: he was employed by Edward IV. to certify the pedigree of the first Earl of Pembroke of the Herbert family. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1836, amounted to £l34. 11., of which £105. 18. was for the relief of the poor, £18. 16. towards county rates, and £9. 17. for incidental charges.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ABERYSKIR, a parish in the hund. of Merthyr, Brecknock union, Brecknockshire; 24 miles north west by west from Brecknock, on the post-road to Llandovery. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of St. David’s; rated at £3 6s. 3d.; in the parliamentary return at £135; gross income £150. Patron, in 1835, David Jones, Esq. Pop.. in 1801, 160; in 1831, 110. Houses 19. A. P. £934. Poor rates, in 1837, £95.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Breconshire
- Civil Registration District:
- Probate Court:
- Diocese: St. David’s
- Rural Deanery: Brecon
- Poor Law Union: Brecon
- Hundred: Merthyr-Cynog
- County Court District: Brecon
- Area: South Wales