Bitton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Oldland is a chapelry of Bitton.
The parish includes also Hanham chapelry and Oldland hamlet, with Kingswood village.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Bitton
- Wick and Abson
- North Stoke
- Cold Ashton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BITTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Keynsham, and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the confluence of the Boyd and the Avon, adjacent to the Julian way, 2 miles NE of Keynsham r. station, and 6 SE of Bristol; and it has a post office under Bristol. The parish includes also Hanham chapelry and Oldland hamlet, with Kingswood village. Acres, 7,156. Real property, £28,319; of which £1,594 are in mines. Pop., 9,630. Houses, 2,032. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron ore are worked; and the workers at them, in last century, were noted for vicious character, and for reclamation by the preaching of Wesley and his associates. Traces of many Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £390. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is partly Norman, partly perpendicular English; and has a good tower. The vicarages of Hanham, Oldland, and Kingswood are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £26. The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 8,267. Pop., 5,071. Houses, 1,063.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bitton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Langley and Swinehead, county of Gloucester; 6 miles south-east of Bristol, on the northern bank of the river Avon, and in the vicinity of the Great Western railway. It comprises the chapelries of Hanham and Oldland, with the hamlet of Bitton. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, valued at £18 15s.; gross income £350. The church is a handsome edifice in the Norman style of architecture. A new church has been erected here by the parliamentary commissioners, in the Gothic style, with a tower, at an expense of £2,293. Sittings 1,019. There are seven daily and seven Sunday schools in this parish, besides three infant schools. Charities connected with Bitton produce about £27 per annum. In this parish are extensive collieries, and much iron ore; 531 men are employed in coal-mines, quarries, and on the railroad. At Hanham there are traces of a camp and station of the Romans. Pop., in 1801, 4,992; in 1831, 8,703. Houses 1,696. Acres 7,520. A.P. £15,373. Pop. of the hamlet, in 1801, was 1,094; and in 1831, 2,258. Houses 435. A.P. £7,386. Poor rates, in 1837, £753.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bitton, 4 m. S.E. Bristol. P. 9338
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The registers of Bitton, Co. Gloucester.
Transcribed by P. W. P. Carlyon-Britton.
Published 1900 by Privately printed for the Parish Register Society in London.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Keynsham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Keynsham
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury