Wetheral with Warwick is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1815 from Warwick chapelry and Wetheral Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Aglionby, Coathill, Cotehill, Cotehill with Cumwhinton, Cumwhinton, Cumwhinton and Coathill, Great Corby, Little Corby, Scotby, Warwick, and Warwick Bridge.
Parish registers begin: 1674; Separate registers exist for Warwick: 1684
Parishes adjacent to Wetheral with Warwick
- Carlisle St Cuthbert
- Holme Eden
- Crosby on Eden
- Hesket in the Forest
Wetheral with Warwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WETHERAL, a village, a township, and a sub-district, in Carlisle district, and a parish partly also in Brampton district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Eden, adjacent to the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 4¼ miles ESE of Carlisle; enjoys charming environs; and has a post-office under Carlisle, a r. station, and a public green. The township comprises 4,458 acres. Real property, £6,569. Pop., 666. Houses, 129. The parish includes 5 other townships, and comprises 11,778 acres. Pop. in 1851, 3,165; in 1861, 3,377. Houses, 723. The property is subdivided. Corby Castle, originally a castellated edifice, but now modernised with a new Grecian front, is the seat of the Howards. A Benedictine priory, a cell to St. Mary’s of York, was founded a little S of W. village in 1088, by Ranulph de Meschines; was given, at the dissolution, to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle; and is now represented by a later English gateway, surmounted by an embattled tower. A railway viaduct, of 5 arches, with roadway 90 feet above the surface of the water, and another bridge of 7 arches, and 480 feet in length, cross the Eden. Delightful walks lie along the river, above the village: and lead to three caves called Wetheral Safeguards, cut deeply in a precipice 40 feet above the water. A summer-house, called the Folly, stands on a high site, a little further up the river; and commands a superb view. Red free-stone and alabaster are worked. The living is a rectory, united with Warwick, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of. The church is chiefly later English or Tudor, with a modern tower. The vicarages of Scotby and Holme-Eden are separate benefices. There are endowed schools with £33 a year. The sub-district excludes Little Corby township, but includes two other parishes. Acres, 16,861. Pop., 3,886. Houses, 814.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aglionby, a township in the parish of Warwick, Cumberland; 2¾ miles east of Carlisle, and about 1 north of the Carlisle and Newcastle railway. Pop., in 1801, 92; in 1831, 107. Houses 20.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Carlisle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Carlisle
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward; Eskdale Ward
- Province: York