Pirton is a small parish, distant from Worcester, in an E.S.E. direction, about 6 miles, and contained in 1851 a population of 238 inhabitants.
The Church, situated on an eminence, contains nave and chancel, with small tower on the north side of the building (it originally stood in the centre, the staircase which led to it still remaining in the south wall of the nave). The style of building is of about the twelfth century. The chancel window is in the decorated style; underneath this and the west window are low buttresses; the chancel arch is semicircular, the shafts being placed in recesses. In the south wall of the chancel is a trefoil-headed piscina. The living is united with Croome, under the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. W. L. Isaac, Rector; James Jeynes, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The National and Infant Scholl, supported by the Earl of Coventry and the Rector, for the education of children of the neighbouring villages, is under Diocesan inspection. Maria Barrett, Mistress. Number of children, 52.
Isaac Rev. W. L., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Bradley Thomas, farmer
Butt John, farmer, Pirton Farm
Dowler William, mason and shopkeeper
Fletcher Oswald, blacksmith
Hartland Henry, farmer, Pirton Court
Potter Mary, blacksmith
Shepherd Thomas, farmer, Parsonage
Taylor Thomas, farmer
Tovey Hannah, farmer, Hermitage
Post Office – Maria Barrett, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855