Kington is a small parish, distant about 10 miles E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 153 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small, ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and small western tower, the base of which, similar to several other churches in this neighbourhood, is of stone, the upper portion being of wood, with a tiled roof. From the appearance of the oldest portions of the building, it seems to be of about the beginning of the thirteenth century: some portions of the rood-screen are still to be seen at the back of the pulpit. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of T. B. Vernon, Esq. Rev. Edwin Crane, B.A., Rector; Isaac Harris, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Ballinger Thomas, farmer
Burford John, victualler and shopkeeper, White Hart
Cooper Thomas, farmer
Cowley Henry, farmer, Portway
Harris Isaac, Parish Clerk
Hewitt Francis Henry, farmer, Bourne’s Farm
Laight George, farmer, Laight Green
Nash John, farmer and miller, Church Farm; also of the Upper Farm, Church House
Phillips Edmund, farmer, Cockshut
Ryland Samuel, farmer, blacksmith, and shopkeeper
Sherwood William, farmer
Stanley George, shoe maker
Carrier – Worcester, Ryland, from house, Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855