Doverdale (or Dovedale, anciently Lunuredale) is a small parish 4 miles N.W. of Droitwich, 5 ½ S.E. of Stourport, and 10 N. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, petty sessional division, polling and county court district of Droitwich; population in 1861, 43; in 1871, 51, with 9 inhabited houses. The area of the parish is 743 acres; annual rateable value, £1,381. The soil is a stiff clay, subsoil, marl; produce, wheat, beans, fruit, &c. The Right Hon. Lord Hampton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; yearly value, £240, with residence and 40 acres of glebe; patroness, Mrs. C. P. Mottram; rector, Rev. Charles Piercy Mottram, M.A., Magdalene College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The parish registers begin with the year 1700. The church of St. Mary is a small stone edifice, chiefly in the Early English style of architecture. It was thoroughly restored in 1858 at a cost of about £1,000, defrayed by the Rev. James Oldham, the late rector. It consists of chancel, nave, vestry, and wooden belfry containing three bells and surmounted by a small spire. The chancel is paved with encaustic tiles. The east window was filled with stained glass (by Hardman of Birmingham) as a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Oldham, who was rector of the parish for upwards of twenty-three years. The Rectory House is pleasantly situated about three-quarters of a mile N.E. of the church.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. Charles Piercy Mottram, M.A., Rector; Mr. E. Lamb, Churchwarden; William Davis, Parish Clerk.
Mottram Rev. Charles Piercy, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Jelf George, farmer, Southall farm
Lamb Eliezer, miller & farmer, Doverdale mill
Morgan Mrs. Emma, farmer, Hill farm
Moss William, farmer, Stone house
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.