Norton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Nortune
The parish includes: Priors Norton and Bishop’s Norton
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1686
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Norton
- Down Hatherley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Norton, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands 1¾ mile E.S.E. of the river Severn, and 4½ N.N.E. of Gloucester r. station; was formerly called Nortune; and has a postal letter-box under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,870 acres. Real property, £3, 577. Pop., 458. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The E manor belongs to N. Dyer, Esq. Norton House is the seat of T. Mayling, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £51. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Norton, 3 m. N. E. Gloucester. P. 427
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury