Parish registers begin: 1567
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to North Nibley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Nibley (North), a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands under a knoll of the Cotswolds, 1¼ mile E of the Bristol and Gloucester railway, 2 N W of Wotton-under-Edge, and 2 S W of Dursley r. station; is supposed to have been the birth-place of Tyndale, the translator of the Bible; and has a post-office under Dursley. A monument to Tyndale was erected in 1866, on Nibley Knoll, overhanging the village. The parish comprises 3,245 acres. Real property, £6, 324. Pop. in 1851, 1,133; in 1861, 1,020. Houses, 246. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Fitzhardinge. The right to the manor was fought between the Berkeleys and the Lisles, in 1470, on Nibley-Green. There is a woollen cloth factory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £160. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is mainly later English; but the chancel was recently rebuilt, and is in the early English style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £91 a year, and charities about £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Nibley (North), 1 m. S.W. Dursley. P. 1305
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Dursley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Dursley
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury