Clearwell in the county of Gloucestershire was formed as a separate Ecclesiastical parish from Newland in 1856.
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin: 1830
Parishes near to Clearwell
- Bearse Common
- St Briavels
- Dean Forest St Paul
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLEARWELL, a tything in Newland parish, and a chapelry in Newland and West Dean parishes, Gloucester. The tything lies in Dean forest, near the river Wye, 5½ miles SSE of Monmouth, and 6 NW of Lydney r. station; and has a post office under Coleford. Real property, £3,675; of which £260 are in quarries, and £50 in mines. Pop., 816. Houses, 156. The property is not much divided. Clearwell Park is the seat of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. A great heap of Roman money, comprising about 3,000 copper coins, was found here in 1847. The chapelry was constituted in 1856. Pop., 1,244. Houses, 245. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Cloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patron, the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. The church was rebuilt in 1866. There are handsome schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Clearwell, 1½ mile S.E. Newland. P. 674
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Clearwell, a chapelry, in the parish of Newland, union of Monmouth, hundred of St. Briavell’s, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 7 miles (W. by N.) from Blakeney; containing 674 inhabitants. A considerable number of persons belonging to Clearwell are employed in the coal and iron-mines in the parish, and in the adjacent forest of Dean. A church has been built and endowed, containing 460 sittings, 380 of which are free, the Incorporated Society having, in 1829, granted £400 towards defraying the expense. There is a curious stone cross.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Monmouth
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Monmouth
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury