Rodmarton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Calkerton.
Parish registers begin: 1603
Parishes adjacent to Rodmarton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RODMARTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile NW of the Fosse way at the boundary with Wilts, 3 W of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 4¾ N E of Tetbury; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement, probably an advanced post from Cirencester. A tesselated pavement and Roman coins were found at it in 1636. The parish includes the tything of Calkerton, and comprises 4,012acres. Post-town, Cirencester. Real property, £4,022. Pop., 401. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. The manor-house, a quadrangular edifice of the 15th century, is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £650. Patron, the Rev. S. Lysons. The church is early English, was restored in 1862, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £19. An old chapel in the hamlet of Tarlton, 1½ mile E, is at the manor-house there, and has been partially restored. S. and D. Lysons, authors of “Magna Britannia,” were natives.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Rodmarton, 2 miles S.E. Minchinhampton. P. 431
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury