Barnwood is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1651
Parishes adjacent to Barnwood
- Gloucester St James
- Upton St Leonards
- Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Barnwood, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; on the Fosse-way and Cheltenham railway, 2 miles ESE of Gloucester. Post Town, Gloucester. Acres, 1,471. Real property, £5,133. Pop., 507. Houses, 110. The property is much subdivided. Barnwood Court and Barnwood House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.-Value, £195. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The British Gazetteer 1852
Barnwood, Gloucester, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s Barton, union of Gloucester: 116 miles from London (coach road 104), 2 from Gloucester, 8 from Cheltenham. Gt. West. Rail, to Gloucester, thence 2 miles: from Derby, through Birmingham to Gloucester, &c., 95 miles. Money orders issued at Gloucester: London letters delivd. 8am.: post closes 9 p.m. This parish is intersected by the Roman loss road. The living (St. Lawrence), an endowed vicarage, in the archd. of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol: pres. net income, £195: patron, Dean and Chapter of Gloucester: pres. incumbent, G. S. Escott, 1844: contains 1,150 acres: 81 houses: pop. in 1841, 383: probable pop. in 1849, 440: assd. prop. £2,699: poor rates in 1837, £193. S. lies Saintbridge House.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barnwood, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s Barton, union and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile east-south-east of Gloucester. Living, a curacy not in charge, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; gross income £195; in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Gloucester. There is a day and Sunday school here, with a small endowment. This parish is intersected by the Roman fosse road, and by the Gloucester and Cheltenham railway. Pop. in 1801, 309; in 1831, 419. Houses 81. Acre 1,150. A. P. £2,699. Poor rates, in 1837, £193.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barnwood, 1½ mile E. Gloucester. P. 383
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Barnwood House Hospital
Barnwood House Hospital from Wikipedia
Barnwood House Hospital (1860–1968) was a private mental hospital in Barnwood, Gloucester, England. It was founded by the Gloucester Asylum Trust in 1860 as Barnwood House Institution and later became known as Barnwood House Hospital. The hospital catered for well-to-do patients, with reduced terms for those in financial difficulties. It was popular with the military and clergy, and once counted an Archbishop amongst its patients. During the late nineteenth century Barnwood House flourished under superintendent Frederick Needham, making a healthy profit and receiving praise from the Commissioners in Lunacy. Even the sewerage system was held up as a model of good asylum practice. After World War I service patients, including war poet and composer Ivor Gurney, were treated with a regime of psychotherapy and recreations such as cricket.
During the 1960s Barnwood House experienced financial problems and closed in 1968. The grounds are now an arboretum run by Gloucester City Council. Barnwood House Trust continues to exist as a charity that supports research and awards grants to people with physical or mental disabilities in Gloucestershire.
Barnwood House opened its doors to patients on 6 January 1860, but its origins go back to the 18th century. In 1794 the governors of Gloucester Infirmary decided to follow the York example and raise a subscription for building an asylum. Sir George Onesiphorus Paul, philanthropist and prison reformer, was asked to draft a scheme for the management of the institution. The plans were put on hold as legislation was pending in Parliament. The County Asylums Act, which enabled counties to set up asylums for pauper lunatics on the rates, was passed in 1808 and the subscribers formed a union with the county and the city to build a joint asylum. Wotton asylum was opened in 1823 and the union lasted until 1856, when the County bought out the subscribers and the asylum became a county asylum for paupers. The subscribers began the search for new accommodation for their wealthy and charity patients. In 1858 they purchased and adapted Barnwood House in the village of Barnwood to the east of Gloucester (subsequent boundary changes brought the village inside the city boundary). Barnwood House Institution was intended for two classes of patients, as explained in 1882 regulations:
“FIRST – Patients in more or less affluent circumstances, who shall contribute, according to the accommodation required, such sums as may be agreed upon. SECOND – Patients in limited circumstances, but in a position in life to render them unsuitable for admission into County Asylums, who shall be received at such reduced rates of payment as the Committee, upon consideration of the circumstances of each case, may determine; and some even gratuitously, – preference being given to recent and curable cases, to which the gratuitous Patients are to be wholly confined.”
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury