Barnsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Barnesley
Parish church: St. Mary.
Parish registers begin: 1574
Parishes adjacent to Barnsley
- Ampney Crucis
- Meysey Hampton
- Ampney St Mary
- Coln Rogers
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barnsley, 4 miles E. Cirencester. P. 305
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barnsley, a parish in the hund. of Brightwell’s Barrow, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 4 miles east-north-east of Cirencester. Living, a rectory in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, within the peculiar jurisdiction of the vicar of Bibury; valued at £13 15s. 5d.; and in 1829, in the patronage of the Misses Perrot. There are a Sunday and two daily schools here, and a Roman Catholic chapel. There are several small charities in this parish producing about £18 annually. Pop., in 1821, 271 ; in 1831, 318. Houses 70. Acres 2,050. A. P. £2,578. Poor rates, in 1837, £169
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury