Aston-sub-Edge is a village and parish in Evesham union, Worcestershire, containing by the census of 1861, 128, and in 1871, 136 inhabitants, with 702 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles south-east from Honeybourne Station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway; 1 ½ south-west from Chipping Campden, 7 south-east from Evesham, 31 north-east from Gloucester, and 90 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. R. F Watson, M.A., is valued at £275 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Harrowby. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported entirely by the Earl of Harrowby, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. This parish is noted for the productiveness of its cherry orchards. The rateable value of this parish is £1838.
Trades and Professions
Bates Henry, farmer and fruiterer
Coldicott William, farmer, Manor farm
Dyde Wm., blacksmith and shopkeeper
Gardner Joseph, farmer
Gardner William, fruiterer
Ladbrook John, butcher and parish clerk
Plested John, bricklayer
Smith Charles Henry, farmer
Stanley Samuel, farmer, Glebe farm
Letters through Campden, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 4.20 p.m.
Parochial School – Mrs. Hannah Plested, mistress
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.