Swindon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Swindon Village
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1606
Parishes adjacent to Swindon
- Elmstone Hardwicke
- Cheltenham St Peter
- Bishop’s Cleeve
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Swindon, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Cheltenham. Acres, 721. Real property, £2,499. Pop., 227. houses, 43. The manor belongs to H. S. Stratford, Esq. S. Hall is the seat of J. S. Surman, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £479. Patron, J. S. Surman, Esq. The church is Norman and early English, and was recently restored. There is a national school of 1863.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Swindon (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union and hundred of Cheltenham, E division of the county of Gloucester, 1 ½ mile (NNW) from Cheltenham; containing 204 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury and Worcester, and comprises 722a. 20p., about 100 acres of which are arable, and the remainder pasture and orchard; the soil is partly clay, and partly sand. The Gloucester and Birmingham railway passes though the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 1. 0½., and in the gift of the Rev. W. Raymond: the tithes have been commuted for £265; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 32 ¼ acres. The church is in the Norman style, with some portions of early English, and has an hexagonal tower, a gallery has been lately built.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Swindon 1638 to 1837
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Cheltenham
- Province: Canterbury