Stoke Gifford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1556
Parishes adjacent to Stoke Gifford
- Frampton Cotterell
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-Giffard, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Henbury, union of Clifton, county of Gloucester; 5 miles north-north-east of Bristol. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Bristol, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £6, returned at £140; gross income £60. Patron, in 1841, the Duke of Beaufort. Here are 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1827, £37 3s. 8d. per annum, part of which was paid to the parishes of Winterborne, Filton, and Aldmondsbury. Poor rates, in 1838, £212 7s. Acres 2,070. Houses 78. A.P. £2,880. Pop., in 1801. 281; in 1831, 4411).
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
England’s Gazetteer 1752
Stoke-Giffard, (Gloc.) on the r. Frome, to the W. of Pucklechurch, is a p. 25 m. in com. and bel. heretofore to the Giffards of Brimesfield, till forfeited by treason to Edw. II. who gave it to Maurice de Berkeley. One part of the p. buries at Winterborn, the other at Almondsbury. Great-Stoke, Little-Stoke, and Harris-Stoke are 3 hamlets of this p.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury