Woodchester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Woodchester
- King’s Stanley
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
WOODCHESTER, a parish, with a village, in Stroud district, Gloucester; on the Nailsworth railway, 2½ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post-office under Stroud, and a r. station. The parish comprises 1,203 acres. Real property, £3,728. Pop., 816. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. W. Park, W. House, the Priory, Park Hill, Atcombe House , Southfield House, and Chesterhill House are chief residences. Remains of a fine Roman pavement are near the site of the old church. The manufacture of broad-cloths, scarlet and billiard cloths, and pins is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325. Patron,Hooper, Esq. The church was rebuilt, on a new site, in 1863. There are Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, and an endowed school with £125 a year. A Dominican priory, large and handsome, was erected in 1858, and educates candidates for the priesthood. A Franciscan convent, also large and handsome, was erected in 1859, and has about 22 nuns. An orphanage, in connexion with the convent, was established in 1862; and educates, feeds, and clothes 18 children.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Woodchester, 2 m. N.E. Horseley. P. 908
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury