Whaddon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin: 1674
Parishes adjacent to Whaddon
- Upton St Leonards
- Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHADDON, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; 3 miles S of Gloucester r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 727. Real property, £1,418. Pop., 125. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Brookthorpe. The church was partly restored in 1855.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Whaddon 1620 to 1812
Note. – Volume I of the Whaddon Register contains Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1674 to 1711. It has been much injured by water, and perhaps also by fire, so that many of the entries are wholly or partly illegible, and the lower part of the parchment pages has been cut away. This little Register has lately been rebound in a parchment cover, with spare pages added, on which has been written a fair copy of the legible entries, supplemented from the Transcripts at Gloucester, and an Index.
Volume II contains Baptisms and Burials, 1712-1813, and Marriages 1712-1750
Volume III contains Marriages only, 1754 – 1810.
The Marriage entries here printed that are of earlier date than 1674 are from the Bishops’ Transcripts at Gloucester. Transcripts prior to 1674 are extant for the years 1617, 1620-5, 1627-9, 1632, 1636-9, 1663, 1665, and 1670. There is also a memorandum prefixed to the Transcripts, dated May 28, 1813, signed by John Bishop, curate, certifying that the parish Register of Whaddon commences 1712, with some other particulars. This date (1712) is evidently a mistake.
The following clergy are mentioned :- John Griffiths, curate 1620, minister 1621-32; Samuel Acson, curate 1636, minister 1637; Amos Jones, minister of this parish and rector of St. Michael’s, in Gloucester, buried February 25, 1677; John Harris, minister 1680; Henry Abbot, curate 1683.
The entries 1620-1712 have been transcribed by the Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and the remainder to 1812 by the Rev. E. H. Blake, M.A., vicar of Brookthorpe with Whaddon, by whose sanction they are here printed.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1908.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury