Fladbury (with the Chapelries of Stock and Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre Piddle; and the Hamlets of Hill and Moor, and Abbots Lench, or Hob Lench) Billings Directory 1855
Fladbury is a very extensive parish and village, situate about 3 miles E. of Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 394 inhabitants. In the reign of Ethelred a society of religious persons was established here, subordinate to the cathedral of Worcester.
Stock and Bradley, a chapelry to the above parish, is a very straggling village, about 9 miles from Fladbury, and 6 E. of Droitwich, containing according to the last census 288 inhabitants.
Throckmorton is also a chapelry to Fladbury, about 4 miles from Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 153 inhabitants.
Wyre Piddle is another chapelry in the parish, situate about 2 miles from Pershore, with a population in 1851 of 269 inhabitants.
Hill and Moor form a hamlet belonging to Fladbury; Hill being a mile and a half S.W., and Moor about half a mile W. therefrom, with a population according to the last census of 372 inhabitants.
Abbot’s Lench, or Hob Lench, is also a small hamlet to the parish, from which it is distant about 4 miles N.E., with a population in 1851 of 73 inhabitants.
The Church at Fladbury, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a very ancient building, consisting of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower at the west end, and south porch. The chancel contains two piscinas. The interior of the church is well fitted up, and has a very neat appearance. There is a fine-toned organ. The tower has eight pinnacles, and contains a fine peal of six bells. There are several handsome monuments, the chief of which is a very ancient one in the centre of the church, to the Throckmorton family, dated 1445; a tablet to Bishop Lloyd, and one to Elizabeth Chartlett. The living is a Rectory, in the presentation of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Frederick Gauntlett, M.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Milton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
The Chapel at Stock and Bradley is a small and somewhat ancient building, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower; the aisle being separated by arches, supported by wooden pillars. The living is united with that of Bradley. Rev. John Home, Curate; Thomas Bristow, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The Chapel of Ease at Throckmorton is a very old building, in the early Norman style of architecture, and consists of nave and chancel, with a square tower, containing four bells, one of which fell down in the early part of this year. At the west end is a gallery, which was erected in 1834, and the church underwent repairs at the same time, at an expense of about £370, raised by subscriptions. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Stephen Bennett, Curate; Mr. Joseph Clarke, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The Chapel of Ease at Wyre Piddle is a neat, plain old structure, containing only nave and chancel, with small gallery at the west end, and was erected in 1830, by the Smith/Rev. Martin S.|Rev. Martin S. Smith]], Rector, for the accommodation of the poor of the chapelry. In the chancel are a very ancient piscina and font. Rev. Stephen Bennett, M.A., Curate; Mr. Thomas Sherwood, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The National School at Fladbury was erected in the year 1840, and is supported by subscriptions and the children’s payments. It is under Diocesan inspection. Mr. James Wilcox, Master. Average number of scholars, 60.
Charities – The charities of Fladbury are rather numerous, amongst which we may mention that of Thomas Wilcox, who in 1403 left land at Fladbury Hill for the benefit of the church. William White, of London, in 1681, left £5 for the poor, which was increased in 1843 to £17. William George also left £50 for the poor. Rev. M.S. Smith, a rector of this parish, gave the interest of £1,000, to be laid out in books, coal, &c., for the poor. There is a great number of other sums, which are annually distributed to the poor in accordance with the trust-deeds.
At Stock and Bradley the charities consist of the following – Richard Jones, in 1621, gave 20s annually to the poor; Henry Collier, late of Hallow Fields, in 1653, left some lands, the rents arising therefrom to be for the benefit of the poor.
Gauntlett Rev. Frederick, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Preedy William, Esq., The Chantry
Godwin Mr. J. H.
Quarrell Mr. C.
Berrington John, Station Master
Drinkwater Joseph, bricklayer and shopkeeper
Drury Charles, market gardener
Edwards John, maltster
Gibbs William, baker
Giles Trenfield, tailor
Gittus William, victualler, Chequers
Goodwin Thomas, tailor and shopkeeper
Hartell John, victualler, Anchor
Langstone George, carpenter
Lunn George, farmer and miller
Millward William, baker and shopkeeper
Milton Charles, shoe maker
Milton Thomas, shoe maker and Parish Clerk
Oldaker George, corn dealer
Paine John, butcher
Stephens John, farmer, Spring Hill; also of Craycombe Farm
Stephens George, miller, Cropthorne Mill
Stephens Samuel, farmer, Machine Farm
Wagstaff Robert, farmer, Doctor’s Farm
Watkins William, blacksmith
Humphreys John, shopkeeper and blacksmith; and at Bradley
Kendrick Thomas, farmer, Pigeon House
Laight William, farmer, The Oak, Stock Green Mumford Matilda, victualler, rose and Crown, Stock Green
Summers Thomas, beer retailer, Bird in Hand, Stock Green
Home Rev. John, LL.B., Curate of Stock and Bradley, and Perpetual Curate of Dormston
Bamford Samuel, farmer, Moat Farm; also of Himbleton
Bloxam Margaret, baker
Boulton Richard, farmer, Great House
Boulton William, farmer, Horn’s Farm, Bradley Green
Brazier George, tailor and farmer
Brown William, farmer, Red House, Bradley Green
Bristow Thomas, Parish Clerk
Burbage Christopher, shopkeeper
Cook William, farmer, Church Farm, Bradley Green
Court William, victualler, Red Lion, Bradley Green
Downes William, farmer and cattle dealer
Edwards John, blacksmith
Harber Henry, beer retailer and farmer, Bradley Green
Moleswork William, wheelwright
Wild William, shoe maker, Constable, and Collector of Taxes
Buckle John F., farmer, The Church Farm
Chattaway Richard, farmer, The Court
Grizzell Edward, blacksmith Izard Henry, cooper
Partington Jane, farmer, Tilesford Farm
Smith Susannah, farmer
Bennett Rev. Stephen, Curate
Berrington Rev. J., Methodist Minister, Chapel House
Bomford Thomas, farmer
Eccles Mark, tailor
Farr Benjamin, farmer and butcher
Howse Martin, farmer
Lock Luke, victualler, George
Morris Mary, shoe maker
Partington John, farmer
Randall John, Police Officer, Station
Roberts James, victualler, Anchor
Skinner Joseph, shopkeeper
Wagstaff James, farmer
Watkins Elijah, blacksmith and wheelwright
Partington William, farmer
Tandy Richard, farmer
Tovey John, farmer
Hill and Moor
Dorrell Mr. J., The High House
George Mr. J., Spring Hill Cottage
George Miss S., Hill Moor
Beck John, shoe maker
Bullock Thomas, farmer
Gibbs Isaac, blacksmith
Haidon John, wheelwright and carpenter
Hundy James, wheelwright
Hunt Benjamin, farmer, Hill Fields
Pestridge William, shoe maker
Saisom David, farmer
Stanton Henry, farmer
Stanton Sarah, baker
Wagstaff James, farmer
Wagstaff Thomas, farmer
Wagstaff William, farmer
Post Office, Fladbury – Frederick Stephens, Sub-Postmaster, Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; departure, 4 15 p.m.
Post Office, Wyre Piddle – Charles Cotton, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 7 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 45 p.m.
Bromsgrove, Honeyband, from Bradley Green, Tues., 8 a.m.
Evesham, Hunt, from Fladbury, Mon., 7 a.m.
Worcester, Hunt, from House, Fladbury, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. Honeyband, from Bradley Green, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855