Aikton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Briglands and Gamblesby, Biglands, Wampool, Wiggonby, Gamblesby, and Biglands and Gamblesby.
Parish registers begin: 1694
Parishes adjacent to Aikton
- Great Orton
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aikton, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberlan; 8 miles south-west of Carlisle; it is in the union of Wigton, and comprises the townships of Aikton, Biglands, Gamelsby, Wampool, and Wiggonby. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Carlisle; rated at £14 13s. 1½d.; gross income £550. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Lonsdale. There is a school here endowed by Margaret Hodgson in 1792, in which poor children are instructed in reading, writing, and accounts. The annual revenue amounts to £175 15s., and the expenditure to about £95. The schoolmaster’s salary is £40. Pop. of the township of Aikton, in 1801, 185; in 1831, 261. Houses 53. Pop. of the parish, in 1831, 755. Houses 150. Acres 5,270. A. P. £5,174. Poor rates, in 1837, £362.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Wigton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Wigton
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward
- Province: York