Addingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby and Winskel, Hunsonby and Winskill, Little Salkeld, and Winskel.
Parish registers begin: 1601
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Addingham
- Alston with Garrigill
- Great Salkeld
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADDINGHAM, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, 6 miles E of Plumpton r. station, and 6½ NE of Penrith. It contains the townships of Hunsonby and Winskel, Little Salkeld, Glassonby, and Gamblesby. Post Town, Kirkoswald under Penrith. Acres, 9,520. Real property, £6,778.
Pop., 754. Houses, 148. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £280. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. Two schools have £85 and £80 from endowment, and other charities £69. Dr. Paley was vicar from 1792 till 1795. The Roman Maiden way runs through the parish; and a remarkable Druidical monument, called Long Meg and her Daughters, with a splendid view from the Crossfell mountains to Helvellyn, occurs on an eminence about a mile ENE of the church. The monument comprises seventy-two large stones, most of them in a circle of 250 feet in diameter, and a predominant upright block 15 feet in girth and 18 feet high. Wordsworth pronounces this “family” of Druid stones unrivalled in singularity and dignity of appearance.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Addingham, a parish in Leath ward, union of Penrith, Cumberland; 6½ miles north-east of Penrith; containing the townships of Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby with Winskile, and Little Salkeld. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Carlisle; rated at £9 4s. 7d.; gross income £263. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Carlisle. It was held by the celebrated Dr Paley from 1792 to 1795. There is an endowed school here, which is free to the whole parish. In 1821 it was attended by from 40 to 60 chil dren. The endowment amounts to £70 a-year. About £13 are yearly distributed to the poor, from the rent of land, and the interest of another small charity. Pop., in 1801, 602; in 1831, 719. Houses 132. Acres 9,520. The Maiden way, as it is called, an ancient Roman road, runs through this parish; also the river Eden. At Little Salkeld there is a Druidical monument, commonly called Long Meg and her daughters, consisting of 67 stones arranged in a circle ot 350 feet diameter.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York