Pauntley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Pauntley
- Redmarley D’Abitot
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PAUNTLEY, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the river Leadon at the boundary with Worcester, 3 miles NE by N of Newent, and 7 SSE of Ledbury r. station. Post-town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,967. Real property, £3,343. Pop., 233. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. Whitehouse is the seat of L. Stokes, Esq. Pauntley-Court is a farm-house. There are saline springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Norman; and consists of nave and chancelwith tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Pauntley, 2 m. N.E. Newent. P. 249
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
PAUNTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county of Gloucester, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Newent, containing 280 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has an enriched Norman door. The river Leddon runs through the parish. Here are springs, the water of which is similar in quality to the Cheltenham waters.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury