Oldland is a chapelry of Bitton Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1731
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Oldland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OLDLAND, a village, a parochial division, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1½ mile NE of Keynsham r. station, and 5 ESE of Bristol; and is large. The parochial division includes the village, is part of Bitton parish, and comprises 2,589 acres. Post-town, Bitton, under Bristol. Real property, £12,412; of which £235 are in mines, and £21 in iron-works. Pop., 5,869. Houses, 1,243. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Soundwell is the seat of R. Lowe, Esq.; and Stonehill villa, of Mrs. Gale. The Duke of Monmouth is said to have encamped on a meadow here, a few days before the battle of Sedgemoor. Market-gardening is extensive. Coal is mined; and the making of hats and pens is carried on. The chapelry includes only part of the parochial division, and was constituted in 1821. Pop., 1,618. Houses, 345. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £43. Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. The church is good, and has three galleries. There is a national school. The sub-district comprise Oldland parochial division and Mangotsfield parish Acres, 5,180. Pop., 10,091. Houses, 2,165.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Oldland, 6 m. E.S.E. Bristol. P. 5708
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Register of Hanham and Oldland, Gloucestershire. 1584-1681.
Author: Hanham, England (Parish); Fry, Edw. Alex. (Edward Alexander); Carlyon-Britton, P. W. P. (Philip William Poole), b. 1863; Bitton, England (Parish); Oldland, England (Parish)
Publisher: Exeter, W. Pollard & company, limited, printers
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Keynsham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Keynsham
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury