Ampney St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alterbative names: Ashbrook
Parish registers begin: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Ampney St Mary
- Ampney St Peter
- Ampney Crucis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AMPNEY-ST. MARY, or Ashbrook, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ampney brook, 4 miles E of Cirencester r. station. Post Town, Cirencester. Acres, 1,170. Real property, £2,552. Pop., 125. Houses, 28. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £71. Patron, M. H. Beach, Esq. The church is an ivy-clad, quaint-looking, very ancient edifice, recently repaired.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Amphney [sic] (St. Mary), or Ashbrook, 1½ mile E. Cirencester. P. 121
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Ampney (St. Mary), or Ashbrooke, a parish in the same hund. and union; 4 miles east by south from Cirencester; on the post-road to Fairford. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester, now in that of Bristol, and in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £5 3s., in the parliamentary returns at £56; gross income £71. The chapel is an old building in the early English style. For commutation of tithes, see Ampney-Crucis. Pop., in 1801, 176; in 1831, 115. Houses 27. Acres 1,170. A. P. £1,672. Poor rates, in 1837, £74.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ampney, St. Mary, or Ashbrook, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Cirencester (89) 4 m. E b S. Pop. 130.
A parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety; living, a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value 5l. 3s.; ann. val. P. R. 56l.; patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Cirencester
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
- Province: Canterbury