Tanworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Tanworth
Other places in the parish include: Hockley Heath, Codbro, and Box Tree.
Parish church: St Thomas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Tanworth in Arden
- Hampton in Arden
- Tanworth Salter’s Street
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TANWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in. Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands 4 miles NW of Henley-in-Arden, and 5 SW of Knowle r. station; and has a post-office under Birmingham. The parish is cut into 4 quarters, and comprises 9,400 acres. Rated property, £11,375. Pop., 1,946. Houses, 440. Much of the land belongs to Earl Amherst and T. Burman, Esq. Umberslade is the seat of G. F. Muntz, Esq. A very large reservoir of the Birmingham and Stratford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £507.* Patron, Earl Amherst. The church is good. A section, with a pop. of 1,142, and bearing the name of Salters-street, was constituted a separate charge in 1843; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £150,* in the patronage of the Vicar. A tower was added to its church in 1861. There are two national schools, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £196.—The sub-district contains three parishes and two hamlets. Pop., 3,029. Houses, 680.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Solihull
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Solihull
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury