Iron Acton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Latteridge, Angar Acton and Acton Ilgar.
Parish registers begin: 1570
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Iron Acton
- Coalpit Heath
- Frampton Cotterell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IRON-ACTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile NW of Yate r. station, and 3½ NW by W of Chipping-Sodbury; and has a post office under Bristol, and fairs on 25 April and 13 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlets of Latteridge and Acton-Ilgar. Acres, 2,927. Real property, £6,335. Pop., 1,234. Houses, 303. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Walter Long, Esq. Coal, limestone, and iron ore occur; and the last was, at one time, so largely dug and smelted as to give rise to the prefix Iron in the name of the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £714. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is later English, in fair condition; has a lofty tower; and contains a handsome monument to Robert Poyntz. Remains of an ancient cross, very fine but much disfigured, are in the churchyard. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £10. The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 11,396. Pop., 5,252. Houses, 1,142.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton, Angar, a tything, in the parish of Iron-Acton, Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald’s-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Province: Canterbury