Ilmington is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1588
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ilmington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ILMINGTON, a village in Warwickshire, and a parish partly also in Gloucestershire, all in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. The village stands 4 miles NW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4½ NE of Campden r. station; and has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote. Acres, 4,000. Real property, of the W. portion, £5,113; of the G. portion, £875. Pop. of the W. portion, 979; of the G. portion, 21. Houses, 217 and 3. The property is much subdivided. Foxcote House is a chief residence. A strong chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute, is about ¼ of a mile from the village. The winding of silk, for mills at Campden and Blockley, is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £760. Patron, the Rev. J. Young. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; and was repaired in 1859. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £58.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ilmington with Compton Scorpion, 4 m. N.W. Shipston-on-Stour. P. 891.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Ilmington (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, but chiefly in a detached part of the Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Shipston; containing 891 inhabitants, of whom 18 are in Gloucestershire, being the hamlet of Lark-Stoke. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, and is intersected by the road from Chipping-Campden to Stratford. Stone is quarried for the repairing of roads. Some few of the population are employed in winding silk, manufactured at the mills of Blockley and Campden. A railroad from Stratford to Shipston and Moreton passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £30; net income, £624; patron and incumbent, Rev. E. J. Townsend: the glebe consists of about 420 acres, with a house. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and a national school. A strong chalybeate sring, about a quarter of a mile to the north-west of the village, was formerly much frequented; the ground around it was given to the public in 1684, by Sir Henry, afterwards Lord, Capel, then lord of the manor, who also inclosed it with a wall, and erected a house for the use of visiters.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ilmington, co. Warwick.
P. T. Shipston-upon-Stour (83) 4½ m. NW b W. Pop. with Compton Scorpion, 722.
A parish in Kington division of the hundred of Kington, and separated from the rest of the division by a part of Worcestershire; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 30l.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) the Rev. H. Townsend.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Larkstoke, a hamlet in Ilmington parish, Gloucester; 4 ½ miles NE of Chipping-Campden. Acres, 300. Real property, £875. Pop., 21. Houses, 3
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Ilmington but who were married in another parish.
Henry Cotterell, of Shipston-sup.-Stower, & Anne Rose, of Ilmington, lic. 27 June 1665 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kineton
- Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury