Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Baptists and Wesleyans
Parishes adjacent to Hillmorton
- Yelvertoft (Northamptonshire)
- Barby (Northamptonshire)
- Crick (Northamptonshire)
- Clifton upon Dunsmore
- Lilbourne (Northamptonshire)
- Kilsby (Northamptonshire)
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HILLMORTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands partly on an eminence, partly on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, near the Oxford canal, and the boundary with Northampton, 2¼ miles from Watlingstreet, and 2½ ESE of Rugby r. station; and has a postoffice under Rugby, and a Home mission and readingroom. The upper part of it was anciently called Hill or Hull, the lower part, Moreton; and these two names combined give the name Hillmorton. The parish comprises 3, 150 acres. Real property, £7, 337; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 978. Houses, 225. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Townsend, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. E. M Stanley. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower; and contains an effigies of a priest, and two monuments of the Astley family. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £16, and other charities with £82.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Hillmorton, 2¼ m. E. Rugby. P. 953.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Rugby
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Marton
- Poor Law Union: Rugby
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury