Alternative names: Berkeswell
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Parishes adjacent to Berkswell
- Hampton in Arden
- Temple Balsall
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Berkeswell, 6 m. E. Solihull. P. 1504.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
BERKESWELL, a parish in the Solihull division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Meriden, county of Warwick; 6 miles west of Coventry, on the line of the London and Birmingham railway, and in the neighbourhood of the Birmingham and Warwick canal. Living, a rectory united with the curacy of Barston, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; valued at £14 12s. 6£d.; gross income £800. Patron, in 1835, Colonel Desbrowe. A daily school and several other charitable establishments are supported by the produce of a portion of land, which now yields about £70 per annum. The parish possesses four additional daily schools, — an infant school, containing 26 females, supported by Lady Wilmot, and two Sunday schools, maintained by Sir T. E. Eardley Wilmot, Bart. Various minor charities connected with the parish produce about £40 annually. Pop., in 1801, 1,192; in 1831, 1,450. Houses 277. Acres 6,360. A. P. £7,489. Poor rates, in 1837, £562.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Meriden
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Meriden
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury