Etruria is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1844 from Shelton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Trury
Parish registers begin: 1847
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, New Connexion Methodists, and Unitarians
Parishes adjacent to Etruria
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ETRURIA-popularly Trury, a village and a chapelry in Shelton township, Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford. The village stands on the North Stafford railway, and on the Grand Trunk canal, 1 mile SSE of Burslem; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent, and a chief inn. It was founded and named by Josiah Wedgewood; was the scene of many of those inventions and improvements by which he carried the manufacture of pottery to a state of high excellence; and was the place of his death, at Etruria Hall, in 1795. Gas-works here, established in 1820, at a cost of £35,000, supply great part of the pottery district. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 2,922. Houses, 603. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is a good edifice in the Saxon style; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and Unitarians.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stoke upon Trent
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
- Poor Law Union: Stoke on Trent
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury