Hampton, or Great Hampton, is a small village and parish about a mile S.W. from Evesham, on the road to Worcester. It contained in 1851 a population of 556 inhabitants, of whom 124 persons were in the Union, which belongs to the Evesham district.
On an eminence at a short distance from the village, called “Vineyard’s Hill”, an excellent view of Evesham, and the windings of the river Avon, may be obtained. When the Evesham abbey was in its prosperity, this neighbourhood was noted for its vineyards. There is a ferry here across the river Avon.
Little Hampton is a hamlet in the above parish. The population has been included in that of Hampton.
The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is situated upon an eminence near the road-side. It is a stone building, in the style of the fourteenth century, with a square turreted tower of a later date, containing a peal of four bells, and standing upon elegant pointed arches, at the junction of the nave and chancel. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. At the time our information was taken there was no appointed minister. Mr. Geo. Lovesey, Clerk. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a Small National School adjoining the church. Emily Bellamy, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30. The Charities amount to rather more than £100, and are dispensed according to the trust deeds.
Lewis Mr. Richard
Lunn Mr. John
Lunn Mr. Stephen
Stokes Mr. John Allen, Hampton Lodge
Workman Benjamin, Esq., County Magistrate, Hampton House
Workman Henry, Esq., Mayor of Evesham
Dovey Thomas, victualler, Navigation, Little Hampton
Gould William, shopkeeper
Izod Nathaniel, land surveyor
Mansell John, farmer, Little Hampton
Meadows George, blacksmith
Panting Mrs. M., farmer
Roberts John, wheelwright
Sansom Mrs., farmer
Savage Thomas, farmer, Little Hampton
White Charles, farmer
Post Office – Mr. George Hemming, Sub-Postmaster. Despatch, 5 15 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855