Elmley Lovett is a village and parish 3 miles S.E. of Hartlebury, 5 N.W. of Droitwich, 6 S. of Kidderminster, 8 W. of Bromsgrove, and 11 N. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, and hundred of Lower Halfshire; in the union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Droitwich; polling district of Chaddesley Corbett; annual rateable value, £5,487; area of the parish, 2,381 acres; population in 1861, 353; in 1871, 384, with 82 inhabited houses and 97 families or separate occupiers. William Orme Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; chief crops, wheat, oats, and barley; the land is fertile, well wooded, and rather hilly. Elmley Lovett is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Kidderminster; living, a rectory; value £552, with residence and 28 acres of glebe; patron, the Master of Christ’s College, Cambridge; rector, Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1837. With the exception of the tower and spire, the church (St. Lawrence’s) was rebuilt about 1839. The parish registers commence with the year 1539. The district school at Cutnal green, in this parish, was built by the Right Hon. Lord Hampton and William Orme Foster, Esq., for the benefit of four parishes, viz., Elmley Lovett, Hampton Lovett, Elmbridge, and Rushock, and to be used in connection with the Norris foundation. The school was subsequently enlarged by subscription of the landowners of the parish, and the parish of Doverdale incorporated into the district. There is an estate producing £150 per annum, the first charge upon which is the repair and maintenance of the church, two-thirds of the residue for the support of the school, and one-third for the poor of the parish. Cutnal Green, partly in this parish and partly in Elmbridge, and Snead’s Green, about 1 mile S.W. of the church, are now enclosed. Postal Regulations. – Joseph Yeates, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Droitwich at 7.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.50 p.m. Droitwich is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence’s). – Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Rector; Rev. Frederick Augustus Veysey, B.A., LL.B, Curate; Messrs. Joseph Moule and Henry Greaves, Churchwardens; Robert Lowe, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls), Cutnal green. – Mr. Geoffrey Marks, Master; Miss Hall, Assistant Mistress.
Braithwaite John Jenkins, Esq., Upton ho.
Moule Miss E., Snead’s Green house
Perceval Rev. Henry (rector), The Rectory
Veysey Rev. Frederick Augustus, B.A., LL.B. (curate), Stone house
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Braithwaite J. Jenkins, farmer, Upton ho.; and at Firkins and Stone House farms
Clarke Geo., wheelwright, &c., Snead’s gn.
Edmunds Thomas, farmer, Bassage farm
Gardener Frederick, farmer, Hinchley fm.
Ginks Mrs. H., farmer, Snead’s green
Greaves Henry, farmer, New house
Henney Mrs. Martha, Chequers Inn
Hyde Miss E., shopkeeper, Cutnal green
Hyde Herbert, shoemaker, Cutnal green
Jones John, farmer, Little Acton
Lees John, gardener & farmer, Snead’s gn.
Lilley William, farmer
Lowe Robert, parish clerk
Marks Geoffrey, master of the national school, Cutnal green
Moss Alfred, farmer, Old Hyde farm
Moule Joseph, farmer, The Ryelands
Twigg John, carpenter & fmr., Cutnal gn.
Watkins Joseph, farmer, Valley farm
Webb James, gamekeeper, Bellington
Whitehouse Thos., farmer, Mnt. Pleasant
Winnall Joseph, farmer, Hyde farm
Winnall Thomas, farmer, Moat farm
Winnall William, farmer, Lake farm
Wright Benjamin, farmer, Jinglejoy’s fm.
Yeates Jph., sub-postmaster, Cutnal gn.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.