Wick (formerly Wyke) is a village and chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, distant nearly a mile S.E. of that town, 2 E. of Pershore railway station, and 10 S.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; poor-law union, petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £3,558; area of chapelry, 1,558 acres; population in 1861, 318; in 1871, 299, with 66 inhabited houses and 68 families or separate occupiers. The chapelry included the manors of Wick Burnel and Wick Warren; and A. R. Hudson, Esq., who resides at the ancient manor-house, formerly in the possession of the Hazelwood family, is lord of these manors. The principal landowners are Henry Hudson, Esq., George Whitaker-Wilson, Esq., John Hilditch Evans, Esq., Mrs. Carden, General Marriott, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England. The soil is sand and loam, with some strong land; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, and potatoes. The parish is bounded on the N.E. by the river Avon, and the neighbourhood is very pleasant and romantic, containing many gentlemen’s seats and villas. There was an Augustine priory founded here in the reign of Stephen, by Peter de Corbezon, who a few years afterwards removed it to Studley, in Warwickshire. Wick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; the living is now a vicarage in the gift of the Vicar of Pershore, value £105; vicar, Rev. William Topley Humphrey, who was instituted in 1878, and resides at Pershore. The church of St. Lawrence is an old structure, with chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry, small tower, and one bell. There are Norman arches and other early work in the church, as also stained-glass windows. The building was restored and enlarged in 1861. The earliest register is dated 1695. The national school was erected in 1864 by subscription. The principal residences in the parish are Avon Bank, the mansion of Lieut.-General Thomas Beckett Fielding Marriott, J.P.; Bryn Issa, the seat of John Hilditch Evans, Esq., beautifully situated on an eminence commanding pleasant views of the surrounding country; Vandyke Court, the residence of Henry Hudson, Esq., J.P.; Wick House (before noticed), Alfred Ricketts Hudson, Esq.; Upper Wick House, Charles Smith Hudson, Esq., and Endon, Mrs. Carden. (Further particulars of Wick will be found on page 376)
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – William Edgington, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 6.25 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.40 p.m. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Wick Church (St. Lawrence’s). – Rev. William Topley Humphrey, Vicar; General Marriott and J. H. Evans, Esq., Churchwardens; James Sherwood, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Elizabeth Sherwood, Mistress.
Carden Mrs., Endon house
Evans John Hilditch, Esq., Bryn Issa
Hudson Alfred Ricketts, Esq., Wick ho
Hudson Chas. Smith, Esq., Upper Wick ho.
Hudson Henry, Esq., J.P., Vandyke crt.
Marriott General Thomas Beckett Fielding, R.A., J.P., D.L., Avon bank
Webb Captain, The Grange
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bomford Ernest George Cook, farmer; res., Spring hill, Fladbury
Edgington Mrs., laundress
Edgington William, sub-postmaster
Kings William, farmer and overseer
Martin James, farmer
Sherwood Miss Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Sherwood Jas., blacksmith and parish clk.
Taylor George, farm bailiff for A. R. Hudosn, Esq.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.