Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Parishes adjacent to Welland
- Little Malvern
- Malvern Wells
- Upton upon Severn
- Hanley Castle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WELLAND, a parish, with a village, in Upton-upon-Severn district, Worcester; 3 miles WSW of Upton r. station. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 2,027. Real property, £3,678. Pop. in 1851, 582; in 1861, 802. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Worcester. Seatstone and Stuarts Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £378. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a national school, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Welland, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire; 3 miles west by south of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage in the peculiar jurisdiction of the bishop of Worcester; rated at £8 2s. 11d.; gross income £393. Tithes commuted in 1840. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. The Huntingdonians have a place of worship here; and there are a daily and 2 Sunday schools, one of the latter of which is conducted on National principles, and is supported by the vicar, while the other is gratuitously instructed by the Huntingdonians. Acres 2,100. Houses 109. A.P. £2,008. Pop., in 1801, 334; in 1831, 490. Poor rates, in 1838, £191.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Welland – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 112 from London; containing 94 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. Henry Boulter, incumbent; instituted 1797; patron the King. Population, 1801, 334 – 1811, 391 – 1821, 453.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pershore
Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn