Welland is a parish and village, situate about 3 ½ miles from Malvern Wells, and 3 from Upton, with a population at the last census of 582 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very small, old building, with square tower, containing a peal of four bells. The living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. Arthur Philpott, Vicar; Mr. John Ward, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small School, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Ann George, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 25.
County Police Station – Henry Mann, Officer.
The Charities of this parish are but few, and are given to the poor annually in bread and coals.
Philpott Rev. Arthur, M.A., Vicar
Boulter George, farmer, Hill Court
Boulter Henry, farmer
Bridges John, beer retailer, Hook Common
Carwardine James, carrier
Clinton Thomas, bailiff, Wood Farm
Cruse Samuel, shopkeeper, Midsummer Cottage
Drinkwater James, farmer
Edgecumbe Solomon, farmer, Dane Moor
Fearon James, farmer
Fleet Thomas, carpenter, Marl Bank
George Richard, Sub-Postmaster, and shoe maker
Green Sarah, farmer
Grice James, farmer
Grice James, shopkeeper
Hancock Joseph, farmer, Asserts Common
Harris Richard, shopkeeper
Harris William, sen., farmer
Harris William, farmer
Hodges James, carrier
Jones Francis, shoe maker, Asserts Common
Kendrick John, farmer, Lake Farm
Lampitt Thomas, beer retailer, Anchor
Mayall John, farmer
Moore James, beer retailer, Lake Inn
Oliver James, farmer, Hoo Bank
Phillips David, carrier
Pope Joseph, farmer, Hill Farm
Pratt Joseph, farmer
Purton William, carpenter
Shirley Frederick, victualler, Pheasant
South John, farmer
Spencer Henry, farmer
Turner Charles M., farmer, Dutfield’s Farm
Twinberrow Joseph, farmer, Welland Court
Tyler Richard, farmer
Watkins Abraham, farmer, Woodside
Williams Charles, mason, Marl Bank
Post Office – Richard George, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 10 15 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Carriers – To Worcester, Carwardine, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.; Hodges, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. To Gloucester, Phillips, Sat., 5 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855