Tibberton (anciently Tibritton and Tidbrightingtone) is a pretty village and parish, 4 miles N.E. of Worcester, and 4 S. of Droitwich; in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; poor-law union of Droitwich; petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £2,701; area of parish, 1,320 acres; population in 1861, 309; in 1871, 332, with 73 inhabited houses, and 82 families or separate occupiers. The Midland railway passes through the parish from N. to S., and the Worcester and Birmingham canal intersects it. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, having succeeded to the estates of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, and Robert Berkeley, Esq. of Spetchley park is the principal landowner. The other landowners are J. J. Wilson, Esq., Miss E. Baylis, Mr. J. Hall, and the Executors of the late T. G. Smith, Esq. Tibberton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Bredicot ; joint value, £262; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar Rev. William Major Kingsmill, M.A., Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865, and resides at Bredicot rectory. The old church, dedicated to St. Peter ad Vincula, was appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Worcester in the year 1314. It was rebuilt in 1868 at a cost of £1,190, and now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and wooden bell-turret with a spirelet at the west end. It is in the Early English style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq. of Worcester; date of consecration, June 2nd, 1868. A new national school, with residence for the mistress, was built in 1872-1873 by subscription. The site was given by the late T. G. Smith, Esq., and the Vicar; the building is of a simple but substantial character. Evelench is half a mile E. of the village.
Postal Regulations. – Mrs. Smith, Sub – Postmistress. Letters are received through Droitwich, and arrive at 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4. 25 p.m. Droitwich and Worcester we the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. Peter ad Vincula) – Rev. William Major Kingsmills, M. A.’ Vicar; Mr. Edward Featherstone, Churchwarden; Henry Adams, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss S. Humphriss Mistress
Kingsmill Mrs., The Vicarage
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Adams Henry, wheelwright & parish clerk
Baylis Miss Elizabeth, farmer Rectory fm.
Buford James, carpenter
Curnock John, frmr. & dealer, Court end
Featherstone Edward, farmer, Old house
Godard Alfred W., corn, coal, and lime merchant, brick, tile, and drain-pipe manufacturer, dealer in artificial manures, hay, straw, timber, petroleum, &c. The Lodge; lime and stone works, Himbleton, brick and pipe works, Oddingley
Godard Rawson Henry, farmer, Evidence farm; and at Himbleton
Hanson Thomas, threshing-machine proprietor, Lawn farm
Hartwright Mrs. H., farmer, Ravenshill
Humphriss Miss S., schoolmistress
Munslow George, blacksmith
Paddock Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Phipps John, Plough Inn
Phipps H., farmer, Moor End farm
Seeney James, Bridge Inn
Smith Jas., bricklr. And builder, Shrub vil.
Smith Mrs., sub-postmistress
Tandy William, boot and shoe maker
Trevis Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Turner Mr., commercial traveller
Wilson John Joseph, farmer, Gordon’s farm; res., The Mordaunts, Crowle, Worcester
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.