Croome D’Abitot is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Nash says that in 1771 the parish of Croome was united with that of Pirton, not by Act of Parliament, but by consent of the bishop and patron. The living is still annexed to that of Pirton.
Other places in the parish include: Pirton.
Parish church: St. James; St Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1560; Separate registers exist for Pirton which begin 1538.
Parishes adjacent to Croome D’Abitot
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROOME D’ABITOT, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; 2¾ miles WNW of Defford r. station, and 4¼ w by S of Pershore. Post town, Defford, under Pershore. Acres, 1,148. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 163. Houses 27. The manor belonged to Urso d’Abitot; and passed, in 1563, to the Coventrys. Croome Park, the seat of the Earl of Coventry, has some fine Gobelin tapestry, and some interesting pictures, and is surrounded by extensive grounds, laid out by Browne. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Pirton, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is modern, and has monuments of the Coventrys.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Croome D’Abitot, or Cromb-Osbern, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 4¼ miles west by south of Pershore, near the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory united to that of Pirton, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £7; gross income £488. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Coventry. Charities, in 1830, 3s. 6d. Acres 1,510. Houses 25. A.P. £1,599. Pop., in 1801, 118; in 1831, 144. Poor rates, in 183S, £85.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Crome D’Abitot – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 6 miles S.S.E. from Worcester, and 107 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. The church is a neat modern edifice, built by the late Earl of Coventry; it is a rectory; the Hon. and Rev. T. H. Coventry, incumbent; instituted 1806; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Populations, 1801, 118 – 1811, 109- 1821, 129.
Crome-Park, the seat of the Earl of Coventry, in the above parish. The house is a modern building, surrounded by upwards of 1400 acres, in a high state of cultivation.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Croom, seven miles from Worcester, a small distance from the road to Bath, is the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, interspersed with a large fine park and pleasure-grounds, drained and beautified by an artificial river, over which are bridges in the Chinese taste; the whole, with Pirton-park adjoining, is very extensive, and beautifully situated. The mansion is of free-stone, on the front of which are his lordship’s arms, carved; on the south is a handsome flight of steps, on each side of which are two beautiful carved large lamias, in full length. In 1788 the seat was honoured with a visit by their majesties, when at Cheltenham Spa. The church is a new-built neat Cothic structure, and has a set of musical bells. The noble marble monuments are to the memory of the Coventrys.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn; Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury