Cotheridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Otherton and Hewson.
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1653
Parishes adjacent to Cotheridge
- Worcester St John the Baptist, Bedwardine
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COTHERIDGE, a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire; on the river Teme, and on the Worcester and Malvern railway, 4 miles W of Worcester. It includes the hamlets of Hewson and Otherton; and has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 2,202. Real property, £3,104. Pop., 233. Houses, 46. Cotheridge Court, the seat of the Rev. W. Berkeley, the lord of the manor, stands amid extensive grounds; and is approached by a straight avenue of lofty trees, ½ a mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. W. Berkeley. The church has an arched partition between nave and chancel; and one of the arches is Norman. Charities, £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Coteridge [sic] is a pleasing village romantically situated on the banks of the Teme, about three miles west of Worcester. The village itself is but small; but few spots can exceed in beauty the mansion-house, the seat of Rowland Berkeley, Esq. which is a modern building upon the ancient site. This is the same family whom we have noticed under the head of Spetchley, to whom it came from the family of Brace, now represented by Lygon; the first Berkeley possessor was William, and his son Thomas having died in Greece whilst in a diplomatic capacity, along with the English Ambassador to the Turkish court, this estate was left to a second daughter, whose representative we believe is the present possessor. Though the building is modern, with a light and airy elevation, yet it assimilates notwithstanding with the scenery around it, which is all laid out (the home scenery at least) in the antique style. The avenue, nearly a mile long, is formed of majestic trees, which, when in summer’s luxuriant foliage, give an air of grandeur to the approach: whilst the picturesque meanders of the Teme between its swelling knolls, and abruptly broken banks, present a scene of high interest and delight.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Universal British Directory 1791
Cotheridge, about four miles from Worcester, on the Bromyard road, is the seat of Rowland Berkeley, Esq. a rural mansion.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury