Bishopstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1727
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bishopstone
- Mansel Gamage
- Bridge Sollers
- Mansel Lacy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Bishopstone, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; near the river Wye, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 7 miles W.N.W. of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 776. Real property, £1,518. Pop., 288. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. A fine tesselated pavement and other Roman remains have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; and till 1865 was united with Yazor. Value, £180. Patron, Rev. G. H. Davenport. The church is ancient and cruciform; was recently restored; and contains several beautiful monuments. Charities, £49.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bishopstone, 6 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 304.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Bishopstone, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county of Hereford, 7 miles (W.N.W.) from Hereford, containing 270 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £7. 7. 6. Uvedale Price, Esq. was patron in 1809. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury