Bacton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1724
Parishes adjacent to Bacton
- Abbey Dore
- St Margaret’s
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Bacton, a parish in the district and county of Hereford: near the Dore river, 4 miles NW of Pontrilas r. station, and 11 SW of Hereford. Post-town, Abbeydore under Hereford. Acres, 1,155. Real property, £1,172. Pop., 154. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £129. Patron, F. Hamp, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £30
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bacton, a parish in the hund. of Webtree, union of Dore, county of Hereford; 2 miles north west of Abbey-Dore. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £3 13s. 4d., and in the parliamentary returns at £110; gross income £104. Patron, in 1835, F. Hamp. Here is a school with a small endowment, on which four children receive instruction. Charities to the poor of this parish produce £16 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 167; in 1831, 178. Houses 32. Acres 950. A. P. £595. Poor rates, in 1837, £69.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bacton, 11 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 140
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Bacton, a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 11 ½ miles (SW by W) from Hereford; containing 140 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1177 acres, and is bounded on the east by the river Dore: the land is fertile in corn and apples, and a considerable quantity of cider is made; timber of good quality thrives well, and there is a large supply of excellent limestone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Francis Hamp, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £122. 9. The church contains, in the north side of the chancel, a monument of the Corinthian order, with a curious inscription to the memory of Mrs. Blanche Parry, of Newcourt, in the parish, and for many years maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth. A school is aided by a donation of £15 per annum from the rector. Mrs. Blanche Parry, in 1589, bequeathed as much land as would produce 140 bushels of wheat and rye, to be divided among the poor of Bacton and the hamlet of Newton (nr. Leintwardine); and there are also other bequests to the poor, recorded on a stone slab in the church. Some chalybeate springs have been discovered within the last few years.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Dore
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury